Angular Cheilitis comes in a bacterial and a fungal form. There are a number of traditional or western medication remedies as well as natural remedies on the market. The following is a list of potential home remedies that some people have had success with, but are by no means guaranteed to work.
- Anti-fungal diet. There is an anti-fungal diet that has been used for treating yeast infections that has been known to work on angular cheilitis as well. This involves avoiding refined sugar, bread, yeast, dairy, alcohol and sweets. Rather eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit and whole grain foods. It will take a few days to take effect but is rumoured to help immensely.
- Short water fast. This means that you drink nothing for two or three days. Be very careful trying this kind of thing as you may dehydrate quite badly which brings along its own assortment of problems. The idea is to starve the fungus of water causing it to dry out and die.
- Nappy rash creams. These sooth the skin and help to keep the area moist and pliable. If it is followed with the application of a petroleum based cream to help keep the moisture in it may be even more effective as one of the home angular cheilitis remedies.
- Yeast infection cream. Sometimes it is caused by a yeast infection or a fungus that is similar to candida. Some people have had success in curing the problem with a regular yeast infection cream that is available from most pharmacies.
- Anti-bacterial cream. If the anti-fungal creams are not working, your cheilitis may be caused by a bacteria. Find a good anti-bacterial cream and apply it a few times a day.
- Coco butter. One of the angular cheilitis remedies that can be self applied is coco butter. Coco butter is rich in vitamin B, a deficiency of which has been known to cause angular cheilitis. If this does work for you, you may want to consider taking a vitamin B complex every day to help keep it away.
- Bicarbonate of soda. Bicarbonate of soda or baking soda has been used in the treatment of the condition by some who have had no success whatsoever with the various other angular cheilitis remedies available. No one is quite sure why it works, maybe something in the chemical composition is to angular cheilitis like salt is to snails. Be warned, it does burn a little but goes to work immediately.
- A silver colloidal topical application. Many scientists have lauded the healing properties of silver. Apparently a silver colloidal cream is also effective against cheilitis.
There are a lot of other home angular cheilitis remedies. Be careful about using any of these remedies as they may actually be potentially dangerous or hazardous to your health. Do a lot of research before trying remedy and make sure you know everything there is to know about the remedy before trying it and potentially making the problem worse.